Friday, March 26, 2010

He's Here!!

Well, Noah finally made his arrival into this world. On Tuesday, March 23rd, I had some bleeding and an increase in pain in my belly. The doc wanted to see me. While being monitored in the office, it was determined that I was contracting every few minutes. When she checked me, I was 2-3 cm and 80% effaced. I went home not knowing if the contractions would continue, etc. The doctor had said it could be "today, tomorrow, or a few weeks." After getting home, we went for a walk to see what the contractions were gonna do. They got closer and harder. I quickly decided that we were gonna have to head to the hospital. We scrambled to find someone to keep the kids (Thank goodness for Gretchen) and Aunt Lisa was on her way down thanks to Grandpa Yant.

When we arrived at the hospital I was monitored for a while, contractions were 1-2 minutes apart. We did some walking to see exactly how things were going to go (ie: contractions stop or keep going and make cervix changes). At 11:30 that night, they checked me and determined that Noah (being the turkey he is) had turned from a head down position to being completely sideways while we were in the hospital. My OB was shocked. There was fear of him continuing to flip around and tying his cord in knots. I was still contracting regularly every 1-2 minutes and the doc decided it was time for Noah to come out. So we headed to the OR for a c-section. The c-section is a completely different post for another time. But after he was born, he was struggling with his breathing. He was requiring oxygen so they took him to the NICU.

He was diagnosed with transient tachypnea of the newborn, caused by him inhaling fluid into his lungs. We were told it could take 24 hours or up to 3 weeks to get things better. As of today, he is 2 days old and has completely turned around. I have just started being able to attempt to bottle feed him at each feeding. He tires easily, but is doing well. They are weaning the flow on the oxygen and are hopeful that he'll be ready to come home early next week. Keep the prayers coming!!

No comments: