Sunday, October 25, 2009

Ooh, the wows of flu!

So, Friday night into Saturday morning was absolutely awful. I had a headache like I have never had before. I truly was beginning to think that I had a brain tumor or an aneuryism or something horrible. I felt just awful. I almost went to the ER in the middle of the night, but didn't want to be "that patient" that the ER nurses talked about. So I held out. Went to my family doc's office in the morning (thank goodness for Sat am hours). Saw my docs partner and it must have been the look on my face, the tears coming from my eyes, or the fact that I hadn't peed in 12 hours that concerned him. Never mind the fact that my BP was 90/40. He promptly sent me to the ER and said that I was "THE" patient that the flu worried them most about (pregnant).

The ER looked at me and said, "So what exactly did your family doc want us to do?" I explained that he was concerned about the dehydration and thought it was contributing to the headaches. They agreed (reluctantly I believe) to give me a liter of saline. In the mean time, because of my Chiari malformation (brain deformity) they decided they ought to scan my head to make sure my headache was flu related and not something else they were missing. While awaiting my CT, they checked another set of vitals and found my bp to be 83/37. That got their attention. I quickly received a second liter of saline and I think they realized that I felt just as bad as I told them I did.

Head CT was normal (shocker) and the ER doc was prompt to tell me that this headache could hold on for up to 10 days. This is a real bummer since being pregnant and a gastric bypass patient really limits my drug choices. Tylenol only for me. Came home, still feeling like I was dying. Slept off and on yesterday and today and am FINALLY beginning to feel like maybe I'm on the mend. It did take 12 hours after 2L of saline before I peed. I think I was pretty dry!

No comments: