Sunday, September 21, 2008

Good samaritan OR sucker?

Well, I had an experience this evening coming to work that has me wondering if I did the right thing or was I taken as a sucker? I stopped at Speedway gas station to get gas. As soon as I was finished pumping my gas I was approached by a gentleman. He seemed very nice, friendly, outgoing. He was wearing jeans and a tshirt. He began to tell me this "story" (crazy story to be made up, I thought) about how he is a dairy farmer. He had driven to southern indiana to pick up a calf. This calf had been deprived of oxygen at birth (he was sporting a black eye and scrapes on the side of his eye from being kicked). When he travels for work, he only carries with him the gas card for the "co-op gas station." Unfortunately when he stopped for gas, the area he was in had no electricity. He was unable to buy gas. Decided he would drive as far as he could then figure out what to do.

This landed him at the West 10th Street Speedway gas station where he found me. He said, "I'm not drunk, I haven't been smoking anything, I just need a favor." Come to find out the more we talked, he lives in Warsaw (not far from where I grew up) and used to live on the same lake that my dad lived on for several years. When I described where my dad lived, he was able to describe the vehicle my dad drove. SMALL WORLD. He basically was asking for me to buy him gas. Problem was that he also need $10 to rent a gas can. He proceeds to tell me that he isn't broke, he has money, he just doesn't have it on him.

In my gut I'm thinking, "Melissa, are you crazy? Run in the opposite direction. Do you know how many psychos are out there?" In my heart I'm thinking, "He just needs help, what would you do if this was you?" I had just purchased my $50.02 worth of gas with a Speedway gas card that I had gotten as a "bonus" for working extra hours. The original value of the gas card was $100. I explained to him that I didn't have any cash nor did I carry any credit cards or debit cards with me (ok, so I lied, but I think God will forgive me, I was still a little nervous). I did offer him the remaining $49.98 left on my speedway gas card. At first he was apprehensive, thinking he still needed cash for the deposit for the gas can. Then he decided he could use the gas card as the deposit and to pay for the gas.

He thanked me profusely, took my cell number and my name, and said, "I knew anyone who looked as professional as you and obviously worked with kids wouldn't run away from me." (Gotta love the Buzz Lightyear scrub top!) So now, I wait. Will he truly contact me to repay me? If he does, my faith in mankind will be restored. If he doesn't, St. Vincent just paid someone $49.98 for gas or anything else you can buy at a gas station convience store. What do you all think? Was I a good samaritan or a sucker? My co-workers are all voting sucker.

3 comments:

my life: said...

What a big heart you have!!!!

I once bought gas for a woman who's credit card was "not working"...we had recieved $20 unexpectedly and immediately happened upon this woman. It covered her debt. I'm almost positive she knew she didn't have the means to pay for the gas she had just put into her car.

However, I also believe that sometimes you know....the prompting of the Holy Spirit...and you respond. It could be a seed that is planted in someones life.

I don't ALWAYS feel prompted...and if not, I decline. But I fully believe, from what you described, you followed your heart. You are NOT a sucker...whether he contacts you or not...you are good. :0)

Sonja said...

Melissa - You don't know me. I found your blog via Krista's and I found hers through a friend, but I am from Leesburg, just north of Warsaw and sincerely hope that the man's story is true. I like to think that Warsaw is still a small town at heart even though it is growing by leaps and bounds. Did you get the man's name? Just wondering if I know him as my family is very involved in the agriculture community. No matter what the outcome, know that you did the right thing because you did it with a loving and trusting heart and for all the right reasons. God will bless you and your generosity.

Jhon mac said...

Thanks for your great and helpful presentation I like your good service.I always appreciate your post. Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great.
thomas hess