Monday, September 15, 2008

There's Hope!

At a time when I was questioning my job/career due to the frequent loss of patients lately, I now hold a little hope. When I went to work on Friday night, I was honored to care for a little girl, just about to celebrate her first birthday, who was on ECMO. Things were not looking so good for her. I knew I would need my running shoes and once again felt that I would get close to a family just to watch them lose a child. I worked very hard all night and again on Saturday night. When I left work Sunday morning, I had some hope. Hope that maybe, just maybe, this little angel would make it. Things were looking better. We were doing so much less for her than we were when I went to work on Friday night. She wasn't needing as much of our help to keep her body working.

On my way home from work Sunday morning, I felt myself praying and asking for strength. "Not again Lord, please don't make me and the PICU staff endure the loss of yet another innocent life." I called work on Sunday night to check in. I was shocked and excited to find out that she was off ECMO and doing well. What a difference a few hours make. I was at work tonight for a staff meeting and was so excited to see her family and be told that she continues to do well. Her mom had said that when she got off of ECMO, she was bringing the staff a cake. When I walked into the breakroom for the staff meeting, there on the table was a huge container of cupcakes, celebrating this little girl's strength.

Please continue to keep them in your prayers as they still have a way to go. But with the Lord's help, I'm now positive that she will make it.

1 comment:

my life: said...

Where have I been???? I've missed much blogging around here!
I feel like I need to say...congratulations...praying for you and YaY! (to get caught up!) WOW....my thoughts are with you...you have much going on...